Arizona is well known for ample sunshine. But, along with that sunshine comes the summer heat. Temperatures in Arizona can be brutal. We take the time to stay hydrated and to protect our skin from the summer heat, but are you taking the same precautions with your hair? Just as the sun can damage your skin, the heat and sun can damage your hair. To protect your hair from damage this summer, I have the easy summer hair care tips you need.
Protecting Your Hair During Summer
Summer can really fry your hair if you don’t take the right precautions. For those with colored hair, the sun will cause your hair color to fade faster. No matter if your hair is colored or natural, the sun can dry out your hair, causing it to become frizzy and unmanageable because ultraviolet rays will actually “cook” your hair. This sun-induced stress causes the outer layer of the hair to become rough, making usually smooth hair become dry and frizzy.
Living in Arizona, we also have to deal with the humidity of monsoon season. Your hair soaks up the humidity, causing the shaft of the hair to begin to swell. This can cause the cuticles to break while also making your hair become puffy and frizzy.
While many of us try to escape the heat by jumping into the pool, swimming takes a toll on your hair too. The chlorine found in most pools will strip your hair of its natural protective layer. Even ocean water can produce negative consequences as salt dries out your hair just as it dries out your skin.
Thankfully, there are many simple summer hair care tips you can use to give your hair the added protection it needs to beat the summer heat.
Summer Hair Care Tips
By giving your hair a little extra TLC during the summer, you’ll help to keep your hair looking and feeling great all summer long.
- Get a trim—As summer kicks off, go in for a trim to get rid of split ends and for a great new summer style. With your hair growing faster in the summer, you’ll give your hair the right foundation to grow beautifully during the summer months. Need a trim or a great new summer style? Call (480) 209-6057 to set up an appointment.
- Protection from the Sun—There are hair care products that contain UV filters to protect your hair from sun damage. By applying it daily, you’ll help to protect your hair from damage while also keeping colored hair from fading.
- Saturate Before Swimming—If you’re going to be swimming, apply a leave-in conditioner before taking a dip. By doing so, your hair won’t absorb as much pool chemicals or saltwater. Be sure to rinse your hair well when you’re done swimming.
- Avoid Heating Tools—While heating tools are our best friends, you will want to give your hair a break a couple of times a week. You don’t want to expose your hair to any extra heat during the summer months. Instead of curling or straightening your hair, try a cute summer braid.
- Manage Your Frizz—Your hair is bound to get frizzy during the summer, but you can help to reduce the severity of the frizz by managing it regularly. You’ll want to keep regular trims, condition your hair often, and even use soothing treatments to keep frizz at bay. I offer deep conditioning and soothing treatments, like Liquid Keratin treatments, to help protect and restore your hair.
Don’t let the summer heat damper of your hair. Protect your hair from damage with these easy summer hair care tips. Call (480) 209-6057 for all of your hair care needs this summer.